Thursday, January 13, 2011

Our new environment

Burke and I are starting to get settled into our new surroundings and routines here in Norfolk.


We were not so excited about our apartment when we first got here. Actually, angry is probably the better word. We signed the lease blind, but it was only a month-to-month so we figured we were safe. Our first impressions were, as soon as our month is up, we're out. Now that we've gotten unpacked and settled, though, we think it'll work just fine.

We literally live right on the beach. It's protected in some way so there are very little waves, and I can't tell if it will be alright for swimming or not, but it's beautiful. We've gone out for sunrise runs on the beach a few times now. It's amazing. I'm excited for when it will be warm enough to go barefoot, but even so I just love how rejuvenating it is to go running on a beautiful morning. It brings joy to my heart.


I am now the proud wearer of a white coat! Actually, I haven't worn it yet except at the ceremony where I received it. But next week I will have my first clinical practice assignment at the TATC. This is a practice clinic where paid actors come in and pretend to be patients. I'll get to watch video of myself and get feedback from my patient. I am way excited about it. All I have to do for the first one is make them feel comfortable and take their history, but it is a grade so hopefully I won't be real nervous. My white coat is a short one, which is how you distinguish "learners" from pros.

I like my classes. It's fun to learn cool stuff that I love all the time. Some of them are a little boring so far, actually, but I think they'll pick up. Anatomy is information overload, like usual, but I'm really finding that my Functional Anatomy class at BYU helped a LOT and I remember lots more than I expected to. Dissection is....interesting.... but it's amazing what you can get used to, and how quickly. I haven't been stressed out yet, but real tests start soon, so we'll see.


Burke had a rough first week because we had internet issues (it sure is hard to work from home without the internet!!). But this week is going great. He found a steal of a deal on craigslist for a desk so he's all set up with his own home office. He's finding he has lots more to do than he expected and we have every reason to think that this long-distance thing is going to work out just great.

AND we have been called to work in the primary. Specifically in the nursery and the cub scouts. So that is interesting! Being in nursery is a completely different experience of church. We haven't done anything with cub scouts yet but Burke's pretty excited about that.

We were able to spend a few days in NC before school started and we got to see Ian and Emma and Adam and Beth before they all headed back to Utah. I was really grateful for that. Unfortunately the quick move meant that our Christmas with Burke's family was a little more rushed and stressful than I would have liked, but it was really nice too. I think my family had a wonderful Christmas (it was a white one, even!) with a little niece/daughter/granddaughter to spoil rotten. Last Friday Mom drove up to be at my white coat ceremony and she spent the night on our futon, and it was so fun to have her here! And this weekend we are going back home because it's Dillon's birthday and I have a day off of school. It's a long drive but doable, and that's really really nice.

Do I look like my mama?


Pilot Mountain with Bethie

For a day we were all together!

1 comment:

  1. YES!! You DO look like your Mom! I love it. It was fun to get an update and see a picture of your family. I'm so glad you are loving school and that Burke's job is going well. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete