Thursday, August 16, 2012

The commute

One thing I miss desperately about my time at BYU was being able to walk, all the time. If I got to drive/get dropped off at work it was lovely, but most of the time I walked everywhere. I miss that.

Especially because I am now in my 4th rotation, and all 4 of them have been in different cities, other than the one I live in. And because traffic in this region is hideous. Horrendous. Not near as bad as D.C. But still horrible.


Today I left work on the east side of Virginia Beach around 5. I had to run 2 small, short errands. I got home at 7:30. Now that is bad for the environment.

We live right next to the bridge-tunnel that leads to the peninsula (where Hampton and Newport News are) and the traffic backs up there like you wouldn't believe. It's bizarre, because the freeway is only 2 lanes for miles and miles leading up to the tunnel... it's not like it's merging traffic. And yet, every single day, traffic backs up like there's a friggin hurricane coming. I don't know if I will ever understand it. Today just happened to be particularly bad. 

So today I say, I can't wait until I can live really close to the places I have to be every single day. Maybe walking distance, even? I miss Provo.


Can you tell I've been home alone all week?

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I love the "not near as bad as DC" comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you DO miss Provo. Ugh. I'm sorry it is so far away. It sounds like you are getting pretty close to graduation. How much longer do you have?

    It is fun to "hear" how thing are going. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you working on the east side all month? That just happens to be where we live now. Give me a call and come by to relax and have a snack (or dinner) before driving home. Please!!!

    ReplyDelete