Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The running game


Today I was talking with some girls at school about running and the lack of motivation we often feel to exercise. I have a perfect example. June was pretty brutal at school, and 2 weeks were particularly rough. I had 3 tests each week, starting at 8am almost every day, and cramming my brains out every night. One week I still managed to run on 5 out of the 7 days. The next week? Zero. And what was the difference? The Saturday in between those two weeks was the day of our 8k race. And when it was over? No more motivation.

Burke was a really good sport after we signed up for the race. It was often hard to get him to get out of bed and run with me, but usually he did. The day of the race we were downtown early. (Unfortunately we had to leave the camera in the car, but we took a picture when we got home to document it! :)) It was a beautiful morning, but by the time the race got going it was awfully hot. But it was a fun race! Yes, it was actually FUN! 8k is a nice distance, and I just really enjoyed it. There was a girl in my class who caught up to me near the end and we finished together. It was fun because she helped me kick it hard near the finish. When I looked up the official results I saw that I was 5th in my division! Cool, huh? I was feeling pretty proud of myself until I looked up my friend; she got the exact same time as me but came in 18th in her division! Ha.

Burke had a good time too. He ran it all in his Vibrams, and he did great! He has an even harder time getting motivated to go running than I do, but he can be persuaded, and he says he always "Feels good when he's DONE running." Anyway, now that the race was a few weeks ago and I've only gone running ONCE since then, it must be about time to find another race to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment